It is no longer news that every candidate who wish to participate in the 2020/2021 JAMB exercise must have his/her National Identity Number(NIN). The problem is, most of the candidates still don’t know how or where to register for this. If you are disturbed as regards how to obtain your NIN, then this article is for you. In this article we’re going to give you a step by step guide on how to obtain your national identity number(NIN) anywhere anytime all by yourself. Read this article to the end and get your NIN right away!
Initially, it came as a rumor that the NIN is one of the requirements for the 2020/2021 JAMB exercise.
However, this is no longer a rumor as it has been confirmed by the JAMB spokesman. The JAMB spokesman Dr. Fabian Benjamin speaking on this said “the aim is to ensure biometric and other details were captured.
This effort is geared towards curtailing examination malpractices.” Sequel to this announcement, we have decided to share with our audience the simplest and easiest way of obtaining the NIN.
This is because we don’t want our students to be frustrated during the registration period. What is this NIN we’re talking about? Let’s look at what is NIN.
What Is NIN?
NIN simply means National Identification Number. It consists of 11 complicated numbers. These numbers are chosen randomly, that is it does not have a specific method of assigning it.
After enrolling into the National Identity Database (NIDB) an individual gets a unique NIN. Two candidates can never have the same NIN. This is to show the uniqueness of this NIN.
There are so many ways to obtain the NIN. However, in this article, we’re going to show our candidates the easiest and simplest ways to go about this registration. Before we go into the various registration methods, let us look at some things you should know about the NIN. Something like the acronym NIMC. It’s the first time you’re hearing this right? Don’t worry we’re going to explain all these.
What Is NIMC And What Do They Do?
The body responsible for the NIN registration in Nigeria is the NIMC. NIMC simply means National Identity Management Commission. NIMC operates and regulates matters of national identity in Nigeria. It’s services include but not limited to: National Identification Number (NIN) enrolment and issuance, National e-ID card issuance, identity verification as well as data harmonization and authentication.
Now that you have known the body charged with the responsibility of issuing the National identity Number as well as some of their other activities, Let us now look into the various ways of getting your NIN by yourself. We’re going to focus on the three major ways of getting this, they are not only simple but time saving and stress free. The three ways are:
- Online enrollment Method
- Downloading and using the enrollment Form
- Direct registration method
Let us look at the documents you need for the NIN registration.
Documents for the NIN Registration
Before you start this registration, make sure you have your BVN. If you have your BVN, walk into the NIMC enrollment centre and start your registration. You can process your NIN registration with any of these document: Note that these documents must be Originals. Photocopies will not be accepted.
- Old National ID Card
- Driver’s License
- Voter’s card (Temporary or Permanent)
- Nigerian International passport
- Certificate of Origin
- Attestation letter from a prominent ruler in your community
- Birth certificate
- Declaration of age
- Attestation letter from religious/traditional leader
- NHIS ID card
- Government staff ID card
- Registered/recognized private organization staff ID card
- School ID Card (private/public)
- Tax Clearance certificate
- Valid immigration documents
Step by step guide on how to obtain the NIN using the online enrollment method
This is the easiest and fastest way of getting your NIN. Its just a Do it yourself method. To use this method kindly follow the steps below
- Visit the NIMC official website and click on the “pre-enrollment portal” to enroll. click HERE to open the portal.
- Once the portal opens, you have to go to the “register” section and fill in your details in CAPITALS. Please note in CAPITALS. See image below
- Print out your enrollment form. It is important to note at this point that the enrollment form must contain a 2D Barcode which must be scanned at the NIMC center.
However, it is important to note that the Online enrollment is just an initial step in the enrollment process.
This process is only completed after the applicant gets his or her biometric data captured and processed. The biomterc data here include: fingerprints, headshot photograph and signature. The capturing is done by an enrollment officer at any NIMC enrollment centre.
Step by step guide on how to obtain the NIN using the downloading and using the enrollment Form
It is important to note that this method is just an alternative to the first method. However in this method the applicant will download the application form and fill it instead of filling it online. That is,the candidates downloads the application form then manually fills it. Download the form using this link . It is important to also note that all details must be filled in CAPITALS. This is a rule that must be obeyed. Proceed to the nearest NIMC centre for the final stages of your enrollment process which is the biometric capturing.
It is only after you must have completed these steps that you can obtain your NIN. The steps are quite simple and stress free, you just have to follow them accordingly. Remember that it is mandatory for every JAMBITE to have his/her NIN.
Step By Step Guide On How To Register Directly at the NIMC center
If you have any of the document above, then follow these step by step guide to register at the NIMC centre. However, this process is also very simple. Just follow it step by step
- Walk into any NIMC enrollment centre with your document.
- Your data will be checked to ensure you have have not registered before.
- Collect a form and fill in your details. This is for candidates that did not follow the online method. If you are among those that downloaded the form online; your form will be crosschecked with the document you are holding to make sure that there is no mistake. An official will help you do this.
- If all information in your form is correct, the official will then upload them in the database. Make sure you check your information after entering them in the database.
- Biometric capturing and fingerprint registration follows immediately after the step above.
- After completing the enrolment, you will receive a Transaction ID Slip.
- However, the Transaction slip does not have the National Identification Number. The applicant will be requested to come back for the NIN within 1-5 working days to collect the temporary national ID card.
Where Do I See My National Identity Number After Completing These Steps?
It is assumed at this point that you have completed the steps above. If you have not please go back and read them again particularly the biometrics part. After completing the above mentioned steps, ensure to collect your paper ID card from the NIMC centre.
This paper(temporary) ID card is what you will present whenever you are asked for your national ID card until the permanent(plastic) one is available. Once you get this ID card your NIN number will be displayed boldly in one of the tables. see image below
Please take note of the following information:
- If you are below 16 years, make sure you go with your parents to the center.
- Still for candidates below 16 years, make sure you go with the following documents: your birth certificate and NIN of your parents or guardian.
- You will not get the national ID card unless you’re up to 16 years.
- your parents will get a message telling them to bring you back once you’re 16. That is if you are not up to 16 as at the time you registered.
Don’t wait for JAMB registration to start before you register with the NIMC.
While we wait for the JAMB portal to be officially opened, hurry now and get your NIN!
Don’t forget to use the comment section on this post if you have any difficulties or questions during your registration process.
This is all we have for this article. Don’t forget to share this article with your friends, particularly those of them who still don’t know how to obtain their NIN. You can use the comment section on this post to ask questions if you are confused about anything.
Other articles for you:
Do you want to share this post?
Click on any of the social media icons below to share to any social media platform.
You can also Click on the “+” to see any other social media platform you want to share the post to.